Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Place for My Head, reviewed by Hexillith

[Editor's note: This review was written externally and copied to the Mythos Review by its author.]

A Place for My Head is a blogpasta by Apostate, and can be read here (cw: suicide, self-injury, child abuse, graphic violence). Its primary Fear is the Unnamed Child.
First, let me say that I love this blog’s portrayal of the Unnamed Child. I’m under the impression that it’s one of the more difficult Fears to work with, but A Place for My Head pulls it off beautifully. The imagery in the last post is genuinely disturbing, and I especially loved Paula’s soliloquy at the very end. There were a handful of typos, but not enough that they were distracting.
I don’t think I have any legitimate suggestions for improvement. It might have been interesting if we’d had more time to explore the relationship between Paula and Allie (I’m a little curious as to how exactly they met? Just in an internet chatroom?), but the story works perfectly well as it is; we don’t necessarily need all the details.
I’d recommend A Place for My Head for its innovative, poignant portrayal of the Unnamed Child.

No comments:

Post a Comment